- To provide equal access for all children and families
- To increase school-readiness for all children entering kindergarten
- To create an integrated setting for children with special needs
- To access additional state funding for our district
4K at St. John Lutheran School
St. John’s 4K Program is sponsored through the Berlin Area School District. St. John Lutheran School is one of the sites where families can take advantage of this state-funded program.
What the Research Says
- Children who go to preschool are more likely to become good readers in elementary school. Preschool kids get ready to read.
- Children who go to preschool are less likely to be placed in special education or held back a grade. Preschool kids get ready to learn.
- Children who go to preschool are more likely to graduate from high school and attend college.
- Children who go to preschool are less likely to need public assistance as adults.
How Your Child Will Develop
Health and Physical Development. Children will receive complex and diverse opportunities to understand and care for their physical well being, develop small and gross motor skills, and use senses.
Social and Emotional Development. Children will receive the environment, context, and opportunities to develop emotional and social competence and strengthen their sense of personal well being.
Language Development and Communication. Children will receive opportunities to develop literacy concepts and skills, as well as, their abilities to listen, understand, speak, and communicate.
Approaches to Learning. Children will receive opportunities to extend their learning through curiosity, engagement, persistence and the use of cognitive skills as a tool to acquire knowledge and skills.
Cognition and General Knowledge. Children will receive opportunities to extend their learning through the use of mathematical and logical thinking, scientific reasoning and problem solving, and understanding of the characteristics of structures of social systems.
Important Details About 4K
- Bussing will be provided to and from 4K sites at no charge.
- Children will attend a half day session (am or pm) Monday through Friday and follow the Berlin Area School District calendar. There will be some additional days when classes will not meet to allow 4K teachers common planning time.
- Classes are taught by a Department of Public Instruction licensed teacher.
- Each classroom will have an instructional aide, and class sizes will be approximately 15 – 18.
- There is no cost to parents for the program.
- The program is available for all children residing in the Berlin Area School District who will be four by September 1st.
Read More about St. John’s 4K teacher and program opportunities for your child.